- NCTE Notable Poetry Books for 2019
- CCBC Choices 2019
- School Library Journal Best Books of 2018
- New York Public Library 100 Best Books For Kids 2018
- Junior Library Guild Selection
- Starred Review Kirkus (December 15, 2017)
- Starred Review School Library Journal (January 2018)
- School Library Journal Review of the Day 5-23-18
In the last 18 months of his life, Richard Wright, the author of Native Son and Black Boy, created over 4000 haiku. These luminous poems are a perfect introduction for children to this important African American writer.
I have illustrated twelve of his haiku with photo collages, highlighting everyday experiences and the beauty of the natural world. Following the poems is a brief biography of Wright, tracing his journey from an impoverished childhood in rural Mississippi to life as celebrated writer exploring creative ideas in a farmhouse in the south of France.