Haiku copyright © 1998 Ellen Wright. All other text & illustrations copyright © 2018 Nina Crews. Published Millbrook Press ISBN 978-1-5124-1865-1 ISBN 978-1-5124-9862-2 (eb pdf)
- NCTE Notable Poetry Books for 2019
- CCBC Choices 2019
- School Library Journal Best Books of 2018
- New York Public Library 100 Best Books For Kids 2018
- Junior Library Guild Selection
- Starred Review Kirkus (December 15, 2017)
- Starred Review School Library Journal (January 2018)
In the last 18 months of his life, Richard Wright, the author of Native Son and Black Boy, created over 4000 haiku. These luminous poems are a perfect introduction for children to this important African American writer.
I have illustrated twelve of his haiku with photo collages, highlighting everyday experiences and the beauty of the natural world. Following the poems is a brief biography of Wright, tracing his journey from an impoverished childhood in rural Mississippi to life as celebrated writer exploring creative ideas in a farmhouse in the south of France.